How to use the Rutgers Visual Identity System
The Rutgers Visual Identity System provides specific guidelines and standards for using Rutgers' marks, signatures, and other identity elements in all university communications and on university-authorized products.
The Rutgers logos are federally protected trademarks. Permission to use these marks is granted solely to university units, faculty, staff, student groups, and approved vendors.
Rutgers staff and faculty must use the Rutgers visual identity on all forms of communications, including but not limited to:
- Print Materials: Including, but not limited to, flyers, brochures, advertisements, posters, etc.
- Digital Ads and Broadcast Email: Including, but not limited to, HTML emails, digital ads, Jumbotrons, e-newsletters or broadcast emails, blogs, wikis, and all other forms of electronic marketing or digital communications.
- Digital Badges: UCM has worked with Academic Affairs to develop required identity guidelines for digital badges. Templates are provided to create your own badge designs using these guidelines.
- Videos and Digital Displays: Including, but not limited to, television commercials, large digital screens, low-definition website videos, and high-definition documentaries.
- Websites: All university websites must include the Rutgers logotype, with or without a signature, at the top of every webpage. For additional information, visit Website Resources.
- Internal Communications: Including, but not limited to, forms, presentations, flyers, and any other communications for Rutgers faculty, staff, and students.
- Merchandise: All forms of university branded promotional items including display materials, awards, apparel, nametags, or any other products or merchandise. Swag.rutgers.edu is designed to make ordering promotional products fast and convenient. All Rutgers-branded merchandise must be obtained from a vendor who has a trademark licensing agreement with the university.
- Stationery: Dupli Envelope & Graphics is a preferred vendor for ordering stationery items. Contact Dupli Envelope & Graphics, Maria Homer at email@example.com or 800-724-2477, ext. 7252.
- Clinical Attire: The university has contracted with Unitex to produce all lab coats. Work with University Procurement Services to order lab coats through the preferred vendor.
- Interior and Building Signage: Full signage standards are managed by Institutional Planning and Operations. Learn more about the process for requesting exterior or interior signage.
- Vehicle Signage: For information or requests related to branding university vehicles, contact Dave Haines at firstname.lastname@example.org or 848-445-6760.
Examples of use and detailed guidelines can be found in the Visual Identity User Guide.